What is arguably the best event in the Finger Lakes is on the horizon. July 13, 14, 15, 2012 welcomes the Watkins Glen Wine Festival, held annually at the Watkins Glen Raceway, just 24 miles from The Inn at Gothic Eves in the heart of wine country!
The 2012 event has confirmation from 93 different New York wineries. That’s approximately 34 percent of all wineries in the state of New York! No other event can offer the ability to “visit” with that many area wineries in just one place! Whether you’re simply wine-curious, or you have great knowledge of wine, this event has something for everyone. Even if you prefer beer over wine, the onsite Brewer’s Garden offers the best of area microbreweries for an extra onsite fee. Offering wine seminars, cooking classes and demonstrations by some of the area’s best chefs, more formal wine and food experiences, over 120 vendors offering their wares (wine-related and otherwise), this event should not be missed!
Special events throughout the weekend include:
- Launch of the Lakes on Friday, July 13, 2012: THE kickoff event of the festival. Dress in your best Greek Festival Finery (togas, anyone?) and enjoy music, dancing, food, and fireworks. Bacchus, the Greek god of the grape harvest and wine-making, will crown some lucky toga-wearing attendees the official King and Queen of the festival!
- Great Western Champagne Breakfasts: Offered on both Saturday and Sunday, The Glen Club offers a 9am morning meal featuring music, made-to-order omelets, breakfast buffet, and morning drinks (including mimosas on Saturday). Reservations are required.
- Taster’s Banquet: This Saturday Night meal features specific food-and-wine pairings, created by Chef Paul Mach of Pennsylvania College. Reservations are required.
- Live Music: More than 25 bands have confirmed attendance, offering entertainments in our courtyards, roaming the festival, and at our events. Music will surround you during the entire festival!
- Pace Car Rides: Of course, you are at Watkins Glen, known for their world-famous road course! First come, first served for $10 per ride.
- Bring your Photo ID as proof of age at the Festival.
- While minors are admitted, this event is geared to adults. No family-friendly activities are planned for the event, and you are fully responsible for any minors in attendance. No strollers are permitted at the Festival.
- Pets are not allowed at the Festival.
- Coolers are not permitted on the Festival grounds.
- This event IS handicap-accessible!
- Wine pick-up service is available to aid in your shopping experience. Claim checks are available at the Welcome Tent (to easily mark your tickets, bring address labels or a stamp). Fill them out before you shop for easy use – simply give half of your claim check to the winery and keep track of the other half for claiming. You can then simply drive to the wine pick-up area when you leave the Festival.
- Safety is the Festival’s first and foremost concern. The Schuyler County Sheriff’s Department will be performing courtesy blood alcohol level checks during the event, as well as a departure gate checkpoint. Please be responsible about your consumption, and consider assigning a designated driver to your group.
Tickets can be purchased online, with advance discount prices still in effect until June 25, 2012. Tickets are also available onsite. Designated driver tickets are available for half price: you can still enjoy the vendors and shopping while being responsible! One-day taster passes are $30 (advance)/$35 (pre-event and onsite). Two day passes are $40/$45. Designated Driver and Minor Passes are $15 at all times. Children ages 5 and under are FREE.
Enjoy your day at this great Upstate New York event, and then return to the inn to enjoy your wine purchases on the on the patio or in the parlor, and enjoy a scheduled massage or dip in our wood-fired hot tub to end a perfect day. I look forward to hosting your stay during the Watkins Glen Wine Festival.
Innkeeper Rose Hilbert
POB 95, 112 E. Main St.
Trumansburg, NY, 14886
1-800-387-7712 | 607-387-6033