The State Theatre has certainly outdone itself this year, offering some great shows and performances by some iconic names in both the music and comedy business! Why not check out a show during your bed and breakfast getaway to peaceful Trumansburg here in the heart of the Finger Lakes? The venue is just a 20-minute drive to Ithaca, making it both easy and convenient to enjoy some great entertainment!
- September 13: Yo La Tengo – Indie Rock at its best! This band from New Jersey has a very strong following in the Northeast and is known for offering great cover tunes.
- September 19: Toots And The Maytals – Ska and Rock Steady at its best is offered from this Jamaican group. Since their heyday in the 60’s and 70’s, the band has continued to work with acts like No Doubt, Eric Clapton, Bonnie Raitt, Keith Richards, Willie Nelson, and more.
- September 22: Michael Franti and Spearhead – In 2009, a catchy song rode the airwaves with its sounds of reggae and ska, making those who heard it sit up and take notice. Say Hey (I Love You) might be this groups biggest hit so far, but it is far from the first offering from Michael Franti and Spearhead. Since 1994, the group has made music reflecting both world events and how people react to these events. The group boasts those ska and reggae sounds, while dipping their toes in rock, funk, jazz, and folk. Look for your IGE innkeeper at this show!!!
- October 4: Paula Poundstone – A barrel of laughs might be a common phrase, but it rings true whenever Paula takes the stage! With wit and candor, she takes life experiences and makes them into entertainment. When she isn’t on stage, you might hear her as a regular panelist on NPR’s Wait Wait… Don’t Tell Me!
- October 20: Doc Severinsen and His Big Band – For those who remember the original “The Tonight Show” with Johnny Carson, Doc was the charismatic and always flashy leader of The Tonight Show Band. Known for big band, jazz, and swing sounds, Doc also led the band in improvisations, comedy, and just plain fun while on the show. Now Doc has brought his trumpet, and his band, on the road for all of our enjoyment!
- October 27: Brian Regan – a family-friendly class act who offers a look into the cleaner side of comedy that is always refreshing and delightful.
- October 29: Neko Case – This Canadian-born artist boasts indie rock, folk, and somewhat country sounds. A regular on late-night television, Neko is touring to promote her new album The Worse Things Get, The Harder I Fight, The Harder I fight, The More I Love You, due out in September.
- November 5: Merle Haggard – Does any explanation need to be given? Merle Haggard is a long-time staple voice and musical powerhouse in the country and western world. With a list of #1’s a mile long, it is truly an honor to welcome him to town!
- November 15: Bruce Hornsby – A virtuoso on any instrument with a keyboard, Bruce Hornsby will mesmerize you with his playing abilities even as his voice wraps you in comfort. While he is most commonly known for his 1986 hit The Way It Is, and the ppular 1988 song The Valley Road, both performed with The Range, Bruce has worked on hits with Don Henley (The End of the Innocence), Bonnie Raitt (I Can’t Make You Love Me), and has worked with some of the biggest names in rock, jazz, and bluegrass.
- November 16: Lewis Black – Politics, religion, culture… nothing is safe from the hilarious observations of Lewis Black! Besides comedy, Lewis is an actor and voice actor, appearing on a variety of television shows and movies.
- December 6: The Temptations – Helping to celebrate the State Theater’s 85th birthday, The Temptations are an iconic and groundbreaking soul group that has entertained audiences for more than 40 years!
Whether you plan a show around your visit, or your visit around a show, The Inn at Gothic Eves will make your upstate NY visit both relaxing and enjoyable! Give us a call to reserve your room today!