Sip & Swirl at the Top Finger Lakes Wineries!
The Inn at Gothic Eves is centrally located between the two largest of the Finger Lakes, Cayuga and Seneca. Thankfully, this makes it super convenient to visit the amazing Finger Lakes wineries found along the Cayuga, Seneca, and Keuka Wine Trails right from our doorstep. Each lake offers a different range of Finger Lakes wineries to enjoy: Cayuga wines lean towards the sweet side, Seneca wines lean towards the dry side, and Keuka offers a historic look at the Finger Lakes journey into wine production.
The majority of our overnight guests include touring and tasting at these Finger Lakes wineries on their itineraries. Lucky for us, there are wonderful local wine tour options to take the guesswork out of exploring our lovely wine region. You’ll decide which Finger Lakes wine trail you’d like to focus on and then allow the experienced guides to do the rest. It’s best to make these plans in advance, check out these top five Finger Lakes wine tours offering transportation and local wisdom about our Finger Lakes wineries and wine trails.
Many of these Finger Lakes wineries have food available, either as full restaurants (Red Newt) or more casual dining. Some also have breweries (Wagner, Americana) or other attractions on site. The wineries are open year-round (just like us!) and usually only have a small tasting fee – around $5 – so it is super easy to enjoy a lot of wine. Weather permitting the majority of our Finger Lakes wineries offer beautiful outdoor seating areas with absolutely breathtaking views, so pack your scarves and sweaters to enjoy the fresh country air.
Get to Know Finger Lakes Wine Country
The Finger Lakes Wine Region is known for its white wine but if you are a red fan have no fear – we have those too! There are over 100 Finger Lakes wineries to visit, along with several breweries, cideries, and distilleries around the three lakes. The region specializes in aromatic white varieties such as Riesling and Gewurztraminer and cooler climate red varieties like Cabernet Franc and Pinot Noir. The region is provided a unique microclimate because of the lakes, which creates a longer growing season and limits early frost concerns.
The Finger Lakes AVA was established in 1982 and contains two smaller AVAs within it: The Cayuga Lake AVA and Seneca Lake AVA. Our wine region is often compared to that of German growing areas due to the similarities of the climate. So it’s no surprise that our varietals are alined as well. Due to deep, rocky soils the Finger Lakes region has ideal drainage and most of our vines are planted on the steep hillsides along the lakes. Which also helps to create these spectacular viewpoints, only made better with a glass of wine in hand.
Touring and tasting at the diverse array of Finger Lakes wineries is truly a treat. The winemakers of this region are the salt of the earth, many hard focused on using renewable energy, sustainable farming practices, and organic and biodynamic methods whenever possible. We can’t wait to take you on a tour of the amazing Finger Lake wineries, the only hard part is choosing where to start!
The Best Finger Lakes Wineries
Spending a day out in the countryside of Upstate New York exploring these Finger Lakes Wineries is truly an experience you won’t soon forget. You’ll taste some the best wine our region has to offer in one of the most beautiful places in the world.
Here are our top 15 Finger Lakes wineries to visit any time of year:
- Sheldrake Point Winery: Since 1997, this in one of the Finger Lakes wineries on the Western shores of Cayuga Lake. Its location tucked between two deep gorges creates protection for the vines year round. Don’t miss their flagship Cab Franc Rose and their unique ice wine.
- Americana Vineyards: Just about five minutes drive from our Finger Lakes Bed and Breakfast, you’ll find this winery fits perfectly into the renovated 1820s swing barn. Head here for lively wine tastings accompanied by local musicians.
- Buttonwood Grove Winery: Take in gorgeous sweeping views of Cayuga Lake and the garden grounds from a multi-level deck and tasting area. You’ll find traditional European varietals here, their Cab Sauvignon and Pinot Noir are both showstoppers.
- Goose Watch Winery: This is one of the Finger Lakes Wineries that’s been cultivating new grape varieties that thrive in the cooler climate of the area. For example, the 2020 La Crescent is a semi-dry white with notes of peach and spice.
- Ventosa Vineyards: On 23 acres overlooking Seneca Lake, this Tuscan-esque winery produces 100 percent of their Italian-style wines with estate grown grapes. Flights, lunch at Cafe Toscana, and intimate vineyard tours are a must on a stop at this Finger Lakes winery.
- Three Brother Wineries and Estates: Find a unique tasting experience at this estate which hosts three Finger Lakes wineries, as well as a microbrewery and a cafe for share plates, sandwiches, and flatbreads. You could easily spend the majority of the day at this Seneca Lake stop.
- Wagner Vineyards Estate: This Finger Lakes winery was named Winery of the Year in 2019 in the New York Wine Classic. Along the eastern edge of Seneca Lake, you’ll find indoor and outdoor seating for flights of their award-winning wines.
- Hazlitt 1852 Vineyards: The 153 acre farm and vineyard has been in the Hazlitt family for six generations and in 1985 the winery was founded, though the vines are much older than that. Check out the open air tropical-themed pavilion for a relaxing afternoon of wine tasting in the sun.
- Atwater Vineyards: Make a reservation ahead of time for a tasting on the eastern side of Seneca Lake. The eighty acres of rolling vineyards and green lawns with the blue water backdrop is a popular wedding destination.
- Castel Grisch Winery: An elegant tasting room awaits at this Finger Lakes winery with dry to dessert wines and everything on the spectrum. They also offer tasty wine parfaits and sangrias for those who have an adventurous palate.
- Red Newt Cellars: Located in Hector NY about 20 minutes from our Inn, this is one of the Finger Lakes wineries to hit with an appetite. Along with tasting flights including their fantastic Riesling, you’ll find elegant fare that pairs perfectly with their pours.
- Standing Stone Vineyards: This winery is home to some of the oldest Riesling and Chardonnay vines in the region, planted in early 1970s on the shores of Seneca Lake. Make sure to book a reservation to taste at this stalwart winery.
- Shalestone Vineyards: For those of us who prefer the darker varietals, you’re in luck, as this is one of the only Finger Lakes wineries dedicated exclusively to red hues. Make a reservation to taste though the lineup of everything from Cabernet Sauvignon and Pinot Noir to more unique red varietals.
- Lamoreaux Landing Wine Cellars: This gorgeous estate in Lodi NY overlooks the hilltop vineyards as they cascade towards the shores of Seneca Lake. The winemakers here pride themselves on using sustainable farming practices and renewable energy.
- McGregor Vineyards: Further west on Keuka Lake, the McGregor family welcomes you to join their casual, sit-down wine tastings. One mile above the shore of the lake, you’ll drink some amazing local wine while enjoying a world-class view.
- Keuka Lake Vineyards: For an intimate wine tasting experience, head to this small family owned winery along the steep cliffs of Keuke Lake. The 14 seats are on a first-come first-served basis for flights of their organic wines. Don’t skip the Riesling!
Be sure to check websites or call ahead to these Finger Lakes wineries, as operating hours are still influx. Allow us or one of our accommodating staff to help with reservations whenever possible.
Breweries, Cideries, & Distilleries in the Area
As you’ll have your pick of Finger Lakes wineries for touring and tasting on a stay at our Bed and Breakfast, there are also a host of Finger Lakes breweries, cideries, and distilleries nearby for lovely days exploring the flavors of our region. You’ll be quick to see that we’re so much more than just wine!
Here are some of our favorite Finger Lakes breweries, cideries, and distilleries to check out:
- Garret’s Brewing: Minutes from our Finger Lakes Bed and Breakfast, this local brewery is a casual spot to drop in for fresh brewed double IPAs, pale ales, or wild hop stouts.
- Liquid State Brewing: You’ll find two locations for this Finger Lakes brewery, one in downtown Ithaca and a newly opened outpost on the North shore of Cayuga Lake. Find beer styles ranging from dark, light, Belgium, and sour.
- Lake House Brewing: Visit this brewery by car or boat on the shore of Cayuga Lake for house brewed ales with local ingredients. They share the lakefront property with Goose Watch winery, so you’ll have the best of both worlds on one stop.
- Black Diamond Farm and Cider: The focus here are hand crafted ciders made from heirloom and European bittersweet apple varietals. Make an appointment to taste these bright and refreshing drinks at the Cider Shack on the farm.
- Bellwether Hard Cider: Since 1999, this cidery has been creating French-style apple-based ciders in the Finger Lakes region. You’ll find ten varieties of hard ciders from very dry to semi-sweet.
- Finger Lakes Cider House: Along the scenic Route 89 on Cayuga Lake, this cidery is partnered with Good Life Farm to produce fresh and complex hard apple ciders. Head on in for tasting flights and pours, as well as farm-to-table dining options.
- Myer Farm Distilling: This Finger Lakes distillery makes vodka, gin, and whiskey with grain from their very own organic farm. Enjoy a spirits tasting or a cocktail at their distillery modeled after a Scottish-style malt house.
- Finger Lakes Distilling: Visit this Seneca Lake distillery, which is home to the McKenzie Brand spirits label, known for their whiskey, rye, gin, and vodka. You’ll get an eye on their production room from the tasting bar and sip some hand crafted spirits made from local grains and produce.
- Alder Creek Distilling: Find a cozy spot by the fire or out in the fresh air on the deck for a tasting of spirits distilled on site. If wine is more your speed, they have that too, from their label Idol Ridge Winery.
Stay at our Luxury Finger Lakes Bed and Breakfast
As a guest at the Inn at Gothic Eves, you’ll be in the ideal location to explore the nearby Finger Lakes wineries, breweries, and distilleries. That is, if you feel like leaving your luxurious guest suite or our beautiful garden grounds designed for a relaxing vacation. Of course, it’s always a good idea to stock up at these Finger Lakes wineries and bring a bottle back to enjoy in the privacy of your own room. Upon check-in, you’ll quickly come to realize our affinity for a great glass of wine—in fact, most of our guest rooms are named after our favorite varietals.
Our Finger Lakes Bed and Breakfast is more than just a place to stay, it’s a special experience in and of itself. We offer eight unique guest suites, six are located our main house and two are tucked away in the Potter House, which is connected by a lovely patio space. In each room, you’ll find fine high thread count linens, modern and stylish decor and fixtures, and all the necessary comforts for a restful stay. Made even more rejuvenating by booking a treatment (or two) at our world-class on site spa followed by a soak in our hot tub.
Each morning you’ll wake here refreshed and greeted by the scents of fresh baked goods and hot coffee wafting from the kitchen below. Our gourmet farm-to-table breakfast service is the ultimate way to start your day off right. Guests of our Finger Lakes Bed and Breakfast are treated to elegant home made dishes created with nearby and seasonal ingredients—many from the local Trumansburg Farmer’s Market whenever possible. We can’t wait to host you!