Have you made the time to visit the Finger Lakes Wineries yet? This fall is your perfect chance to do just that, all while taking in the glorious scenery of the Finger Lakes NY in autumn. We wrote up a great guide to enjoying fall in the Finger Lakes Region, but fall is about more than beautiful scenery. The summer crowds have diminished, leaving more room for relaxation and enjoyment at the extraordinary Finger Lakes Wineries. Who Knows–maybe you’ll find your new favorite red or white wine? Book a room at our Finger Lakes Bed and Breakfast this fall, and enjoy tasting your way through award-winning wines.
10 Outstanding Finger Lakes Wineries to Visit
When it comes to wine-growing regions in the country, the first thing many people think of Napa Valley, or maybe even the famed pinot noirs of the Willamette Valley in Oregon. The Finger Lakes in New York isn’t always the first thing to come to mind, but it really should be. In fact, it was recently voted the top wine region in the entire country by USA Today. There are different wine trails to take in the Finger Lakes depending on where you stay and how much time you have, but the trails closest to us are the Cayuga and Seneca Lake Wine Trails.
So, the next time you want to enjoy a truly unforgettable getaway to the country’s top wine region, choose the Finger Lakes. Here are our 10 picks on the Seneca and Cayuga Wine Trails to visit on your trip:
Seneca Lake Wine Trail
The Seneca Lake Wine Trail boasts more than 30 individual wineries, which is more than other trails in the Finger Lakes Region. The wines found on this trail feature a delightful range of locally-grown and hand-crafted wines. Our favorites include:
- Atwater Estate Vineyards for its panoramic views of the lakes, and their combination of sweet and dry wines.
- Fox Run Vineyards, which offers exceptional tours and wine-related experiences.
- Shalestone Vineyards offer creatively crafted dry red wines that are balanced to reflect the growing environment here in the Finger Lakes. You won’t find wines like these anywhere else.
- Lamoreaux Landing Wine in Lodi has twice been voted winery of the year, and has been setting the standard for sustainably produced wines for more than 20 years.
- Glenora Wine Cellars is the original Seneca Lake Winery and offers sensational vineyard views, as well as an incredible restaurant, Veraisons.
- Damiani Wine Cellars offer exceptionally complex wines that deeply reflect the terroir of the Finger Lakes. Tastings can take place in the tasting room and art gallery space, featuring rotating works of regional Finger Lakes artists, or outside on the patio that overlooks Seneca Lake.
Cayuga Lake Wine Trail
The Cayuga Lake Wine Trail was the first wine trail in America, and to this day remains one of the best wine trails in the country. Our favorites here include:
- Hosmer Winery is home to some of the oldest vineyards along Cayuga Lake, and they pride themselves on producing sustainable wines that impact the environment as little as possible.
- Knapp Winery & Vineyard Restaurant, where you’ll find delicious wine dinners monthly, and some of the Cayuga Wine trail’s oldest red vinifera vineyards.
- Sheldrake Point Winery, located on a one-time orchard and dairy farm, has been producing exceptional wines since 1997. It has twice been named New York State Winery of the Year and has been listed among the Top 100 Wineries by Wine & Spirits Magazine three different times.
- Swedish Hill Winery makes this list simply for its cleverly-named wines like Smart Ass Red–but they also happen to be delicious and have won multiple gold medals. Their mascot, Doobie, is just as delightful as the wine!
Visiting these Finger Lakes wineries is about more than tasting great wine, too. It’s your chance to immerse yourself in wine culture. This fall is the perfect time to learn how to pair your favorite wine with dinner, about the winemaking process itself, and to increase your wine knowledge at various tours and events.
Best Lodging in the Finger Lakes
While enjoying great wine is certainly the focus on your vacation, the lodging is an important consideration. Location matters, and our Inn is conveniently located near both the Cayuga and Seneca Lake Wine Trails. After a long day of tastings, return to the luxurious accommodations at the Inn at Gothic Eves. For the ultimate indulgence, treat yourself to a spa treatment at our premium spa. Book your getaway to our Finger Lakes Bed and Breakfast today.